Saturday, January 26, 2008

Restaurant Review: Inchin's Bamboo Garden

One line summary: OMG, my mouth is burning!

So yesterday we went out to Inchin's Bamboo Garden because one of Mike's classmates got a job and will be moving away from Seattle shortly. Looking at the menu it seems to be sort of Chinese cuisine maybe szechuan or hunan style given how most items were described with containing chili peppers or being spicy.

So their menu has spicy ratings. Dishes with one pepper were spicy, dishes labeled with two were supposed to be very spicy. "Ok" I thought to myself, "I better stick to something that doesn't have any peppers beside it." I ordered the vegetable lettuce wraps. The description read "Chopped vegetables in a black bean sauce with ice cold lettuce."

Oh boy was it ever a good thing I didn't try to be daring with a spicy item. I took a couple bites of this, and then my mouth was burning! My nose was running, my eyes were tearing. It hurt! There must've been chili peppers in that lettuce wrap stuffing (ok, I guess chili peppers are a vegetable too). This wasn't a short spike of heat like wasabi, it was a long lingering pain. Took me like 15 minutes to recover.

It turns out pretty much every dish there was full of chili peppers and red pepper flakes. So if you're like me and don't have a tolerance for hot foods, this restaurant is NOT the place for you. (Some other people in our party like the food and the heat, but it left me in tears)

I guess the only other thing of note is that you can only split the bill 5-ways, so if you have a large party like we did payment because somewhat of a complicated operation.

1 comment: